Friday, July 24, 2009

woah.

Last night, Adam and I had 22 of the CHIC students at our house for a reunion of sorts. To tell you the truth, I had no idea that our house could hold so many people. It was such a cool thing, to be able to use our house for its intended purpose.

Anyway, being that it is Friday, and being that Friday equals Things I Learned Day on this here blog, I thought I would share a little of what I learned at CHIC.

1. 20 hours on a bus as a 24 year old is very different than 20 hours on a bus as a 16, 17, or 18 year old. I may still be feeling the repercussions. I know I'm still young, but hey! I can feel pain, too.

2. There are days that watered down disgusting coffee is a glorious thing. Example: Stay up until 1am after an exhausting two day day (the one with the bus,) wake up at 7am, walk the bleary-eyed half mile to breakfast. Pour that cup of coffee and relish in the fact that it is chock full of caffeine, even if there is only powdered non-dairy creamer. Glorious.

3. Even more glorious than a watered down disgusting cup of coffee chock full of caffeine - that first cup of actual coffee after said gross coffee. WITH REAL CREAM!

4. Worshipping with 5500 other people is a little intoxicating.

5. Helping high school girls process the things they've learned is one of the biggest joys of my life. It could be my calling.

6. I HAVE to do something about the 27 million slaves in this world. It pisses me off that we have allowed this, as the body of Christ.

7. Valleys fill first.

8. Shane Claiborne is one of my favorite speakers. ever.

9. Watching high school boys react to a spoonful of Blazin' sauce from Buffalo Wild Wings is one of the funniest things to do. No, really, try it.

10. This is the verse God keeps bringing me back to: "He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." Micah 6:8


I could keep going, but I have a husband and a dog waiting at home for me so we can trek down to Rhode Island.
Peace out.

2 comments:

  1. good things, jessa. i hope to see you before i'm off to chicago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you had an amazing time, I can visualize the experience through your words. Nothing is more beautiful than kids reaching out for God. And yes, number 5, I think it is your gift as well. You should get paid for it :)
    And seriously about #6- We are here to "bind the brokenhearted", we cannot stand idly by!

    ReplyDelete